Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 8: Sliding Centre

I had a chance to go for a quick visit to Whistler today. As I had to be in the clinic at 5 pm, I thought it would be enough time to rush to the other Olympic site: Whistler. At Whistler we find cross-country skiing, ski jump, alpine, biathlon and the sliding sports ,luge, bobsleigh and skeleton. Since the men were training on the luge track today, it was a perfect time to go and check it out. The site is impressive. I can imagine a noisy environment there with the crowd and the music blasting. The guys will reach speeds exceeding 150 km/hr with only a little control with their legs to guide them along a crazy tortuous, steep ramp finishing with a long 180 degree turn: turn 16. This is where they will be at their fastest as it is at the bottom, just before the end where the ramp goes up to help them slow down as you have to remember, they have no brakes.


It was pretty impressive and, as I have found with multiple sports, never truely transferrable when you see it on television. They are fast!
I didn't have a chance to get to the ski jumps. I heard they are breathtaking. Especially on a nice sunny day. It was snowing hard wet snow today which led them to cease alpine ski training due to poor visibility. Too much snow at Whistler, raining hard on Cypress today. A happy medium would be great!
I have inserted a very brief video. Hope it works.
Tomorrow: Opening Ceremonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment