Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 12: ALexandre's Night!



I realize I'm getting later in my posts....this should have been done last night.

I managed to get the evening "off". All the other doctors were committed to different events during the day: long and short track speed skating, snowboard cross, figure skating, men and women hockey. I hung out in the clinic as we always have one doc available. I don't have to be physically in the clinic but able to get here if an athlete needs to see me. It's better to hang out in the clinic anyways as we have the nice sharp plasma tv always tuned on all events. It's a great place to chat with everyone. In some major Games I have been involved with, the clinic often becomes the central place where many gather to catch up on what's happening. Athletes get treated by their therapists and everyone gets caught up in conversations. Yesterday we had athletes from women bobsleigh, figure skating, snowboard half-pipe and cross and women's hockey all getting fine tuned as we chatted. What is also great is the therapeutic excellence in this place. One could easily say that some of our country's best therapists ( I may have to say "available" therapists as some don't have the luxury of being able to volunteer some of their time here) are here. There is much to learn from their conversations and observing their treatments.

What a tangent I took off on ! What I was saying .....one of my colleagues was able to cover the clinic for the evening so I went to the Victory Ceremony to witness our gold medal presentation. Last night was Alexandre Bilodeau's night. At BC Place, the crowd noisily awaited the first medal presentation which was for men's moguls. A concert warmed everyone up before the ceremonies started. People have to purchase tickets as it's also en evening of entertainment. Nelly Furtado was the show 2 nights ago. It's starts with the raising of the Olympic flag by RCMP officers. Then the athletes march in.......and the crowd goes ballistic. They announced the bronze and sliver medallists and then we heard nothing but a roar as Alexandre was welcomed on top of the podium. I didn't know what to look at : Alexandre's face as he got the medal or turn around and witness euphoria. What was the best was to see tons of small children all painted up with Canada flag tattoos, dressed in Canada gear and jumping and cheering. I'm sure most of you saw it on television but, I'm sorry to say, you had to be there. Hopefully my short scan video ( I know it's shaky) works for you. I had a video on my blog for the sliding centre and some have said it didn't work. It works when I try it. Try and click on the little "play" triangle and not on the black screen.file in file out

Snowboard cross was exciting as well. Every Canadian thought we had the Gold medal already around Mark's neck with that great lead he had. But they say you always expect the unexpected in that event and the American had an impressive finish to catch up. A silver medal. That brings our total up to 4. I don't think we're done yet as there are many events to take place.

Stay tuned. Today: men's hockey starts the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment