Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 21: Medal Haul....finally!




Where do I start?

I wonder how many of you were not in front of a tv somewhere watching the men's hockey game. I managed to get myself to it and got a seat to enjoy a stunning performance by our Canadians. They certainly looked like a team and had a great of motivation to get the job done. Even if television is a good medium to watch sports, you had to be there. The atmosphere was electric! My ears are still ringing from the loudness of passionate fans. I kept wanting to get a camera and walk around taking pictures of people everywhere. The colors, the painting, the signs and I think everyone was wearing something "Canada". Wonder how many jerseys with the new Canada maple leaf were sold ? They play Friday in semifinals. Tons of work to do but the morale is high.

The women are playing the gold medal game tomorrow against the USA. They have a good chance but nobody is clear on who's going to take that one. I might have to try and sneak into that one as well. I'll take the clinic shift all day to allow me to get some time to wander tomorrow evening.

How about those Bobsleigh ladies????? Gold and Silver. What a bad time to have that amazing performance...at the same time as the men's hockey game. You can see that hockey creates a large shadow inside which a lot of sports compete. In the era of technology, it's getting a little silly over here. While I'm sitting at the hockey game, I'm using my own smart phone to send PINs and emails to family back home about the excitement of the game, I'm receiving texts on my COC (Canadian Olympic Team has every Mission team member use a phone for communications) phone from a colleague covering the short track team and learning about our athletes going forward in the qualifications and the women picking up a Silver medal, and I am watching television ( you read it right!) on my COC phone with live coverage of the bobsleigh event on CTV.

Therefore within minutes I learn that we have a Silver at short track, a Gold and Silver (!!!!) at bobsleigh and we already had a Bronze from Clara Hughes in long track. A 4 medal day for Canada. Emotions are high and people are pretty pumped.

I finally got to see a Gold medal. Tessa came to the clinic to show us her medal. Thos things are heavy! I hear most medals are different having different versions of Haida art engraved on them.

Tomorrow will be a good learning day for health care personnel. At every Game there is an educational component. Tomorrow there will be a presentation on Prevention and Management of Head Injuries in sports. Should be good. It's right in the Village so I can attend and still cover our clinic.

Time to go.

Have a good day and tune in to the Gold medal Game. Should be a blast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment